Sunday, February 8, 2009

Time to Rose

Things to do in February:

Time to prune, clean up your rose beds, apply organics, and start a spray program.

Organics to consider to replenish the beds are:

4-5 cups well-composted manure
2 cups cottonseed meal
3-4 cups alfalfa meal or pellets
1-2 cups Milorganite
1-2 cups fish meal
Any combination or all of them will give your garden a kick start. Be sure to water well after applying.
Apply Epsom Salt once a month during blooming season, starting April.
Renew your mulch around the roses. Oak leaves are good. Mulch them, if you can, with a mower.
Be sure to spray with a fungicide after you prune and resolve to stick to a spray program this year.

________________________________________________________

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men...
Got myself all dressed up for going to church. Got in the car, turned the key, and click??? Nothing. Yesterday I got in the car to go water the plants at the church and after putting the key in the ignition, I looked in the tray to be sure the church key was there. It wasn't. I went looking for the key all over the house and never did find it, so I canceled going. However, I forgot to go back and removed the car key from the ignition. Thus the dead battery. (I did finally find the key in a jacket.)

In my "dressed up" clothes, I went to open the green house door for ventilation and the next thing I knew, I was busy applying bone meal to the irises and lilies.~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the rose gardening tips. We always prune on Lincolns' birthday. We'll use your advise to keep us on track this year.

    ReplyDelete